Do you consider game improvement irons a thing of the past? Probably not!
In modern golf, these types of irons give players the best tool to improve their games. The irons are the stepping stones of most mid- and high-handicap players to up the ante in golf. Also, beginners will find these irons one of the most convincing clubs to use.
But how would you know that you need game improvement irons? The technology revolving around these irons in the past decade is becoming more promising.
We feature and review some of the best game improvement irons brands like TaylorMade, Cobra, Cleveland, LAZRUS, and Callaway. They are some of the leading brands currently sweeping the golf industry!
It is just a matter of judgment in picking the right equipment for you to keep you rolling into the game! So, have a seat, and make the correct decision when buying.
- Top 3 Game Improvement Irons Of All Time
- 17 Best Game Improvement Irons Of All Time – Reviews [year]
- 1. LAZRUS Premium Golf Irons Individual or Golf Irons Set for Men (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW) or Driving Irons (2&3) Right or Left Hand Steel Shaft Regular Flex Golf Clubs
- 2. Callaway Golf 2020 Mavrik Max Individual Iron
- 3. Callaway Golf 2020 Mavrik Individual Iron
- 4. Callaway Golf 2020 Mavrik Max Iron Set
- 5. Callaway Golf 2020 Mavrik Iron Set
- 6. TaylorMade SiM2 Max OS Iron Set Men
- 7. TaylorMade Golf P790 Iron Set
- 8. TaylorMade SiM 2 Max Iron Set Men
- 9. Cleveland Golf Launcher Turbo HB Iron Set
- 10. Callaway Golf 2019 Apex Individual Iron
- 11. Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Iron Set RH 5-PW Steel Reg
- 12. Callaway Big Bertha B21 Single Iron
- 13. TaylorMade SIM MAX Irons
- 14. Cleveland Golf Launcher UHX Iron Set
- 15. Cobra Golf 2020 Men Speedzone Iron Set
- 16. Cobra Golf 2020 Speedzone One Length Iron Set (Men, Right Hand, KBS Tour 80-90-Wedge, Reg Flex, 5-GW)
- 17. Cobra Golf 2021 Men Radspeed Iron Set
- Best Game Improvement Irons Of All Time – Buying Guide
- What To Look For When Choosing A Game Improvement Set Of Irons?
- What Makes An Iron A Game Improvement Iron?
- What Type Of player needs game improvement irons?
- 1. What Is The Most Forgiving Iron Of All Time?
- 2. What Are The Best Golf Irons For A 20 Handicapper?
- 3. How Do I Know If I Need Game Improvement Irons?
- 4. Can I use game improvement irons with any golf ball?
- 5. Are graphite or steel shafts better in my game improvement iron?
- 6. What are the easiest irons to hit of all time?
Top 3 Game Improvement Irons Of All Time
#1 – Editor’s Choice
17 Best Game Improvement Irons Of All Time – Reviews [year]
1. LAZRUS Premium Golf Irons Individual or Golf Irons Set for Men (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW) or Driving Irons (2&3) Right or Left Hand Steel Shaft Regular Flex Golf Clubs
LAZRUS offers some of the cheapest iron sets, where you can invest if you are starting to play golf. Even junior players need not spend much while pursuing their passion. However, the LAZRUS Premium Golf Irons for men are not your ordinary irons.
The irons have deep grooves that maximize the spin and control. In this manner, everyday golfers will have the opportunity to hone their skills even without professional guidance. You can choose right-hand or left-hand orientations and the iron combinations you want.
- The package contains six individual irons at a quarter of the price of high-end brands.
- The iron set is ideal for beginner and amateur golfers wanting quality performance.
- The shaft and club head is both alloy steel providing better forgiveness.
- The clubs are an inch shorter than regular-size clubs.
2. Callaway Golf 2020 Mavrik Max Individual Iron
If you wonder if the 2020Mavrik Max Individual Iron is built for long-distance, you are right! This iron is one of Callaway Mavrik Max’s siblings that has taken many golfers by storm! But this iron has a large head with deeper C. G. (center of gravity) that connotes maximum forgiveness ideal for mid-and high-handicappers.
The golf club has a regular flex with a loft of 20 degrees. The shaft and clubhead are graphite that is both lightweight but with a large sweet spot. The individual iron is customized with tungsten-infused weight to locate the precise C. G. for maintaining ball speed.
- The individual Mavrik Max Iron is for maximum forgiveness and launch.
- The iron is one of Callaway’s first A. I. technology recipients boosting ball speed.
- It also uses the 360 Face Cup tech to increase spin predictability.
- The oversized head may intimidate beginners on their first try.
3. Callaway Golf 2020 Mavrik Individual Iron
The Golf 2020 Mavrik Individual Iron is the standard Mavrik design by Callaway. The Mavrik Iron design has a moderate-size clubhead compared to the Mavrik Max Iron, which is oversized. However, it is also one of the Mavrik Irons in the game improvement category.
This individual iron has 41 degrees of loft, with a graphite shaft and clubface. The golf club has a regular flex and a right-hand orientation in Pitching Wedge (PW) type. But a left-hand configuration is available with AW, GW, and SW types.
- The iron head carries the patented urethane microspheres to minimize vibration
- The club provides the utmost ball speed using the well-known Flash Face Cup technology.
- The design of this individual iron mostly fits any player profile.
- The iron has a standard length of 35.75 inches, which may not fit taller men.
4. Callaway Golf 2020 Mavrik Max Iron Set
If you are looking for irons that have more spin than standard irons, the Callaway Golf 2020 Mavrik Max Iron Set might interest you. Additionally, the Mavrik Max will provide you exceptional ball flight with the long- and mid-irons. Consequently, these irons offer unprecedented stopping power around the greens.
The Mavrik Max Iron Set has personalized tungsten-infused weights in every iron arriving at the precise location of the C. G. (center of gravity). The exact location of C. G. gives the irons the needed ball speed in combination with the Flash Face Cup technique.
- The Flash Face Cup tech is present on this design to maximizing forgiveness.
- The bodies of the iron set are large to enhancing the sweet spots.
- Compared to standard irons, the Max offers a higher trajectory.
- The Max may not have the most convincing look that you seek.
- Not a good shot maker compared to the Mavrik Pro.
5. Callaway Golf 2020 Mavrik Iron Set
Mid-and high-handicappers, take note! The Callaway Golf 2020 Mavrik Iron Set is now making a comeback with a slash on prices. The Mavrik Iron Set is Callaway’s game-changer for players struggling with their low swing speed but who want to perform well in the future.
The Mavrik Irons is synonymous with distance in every face. The clubs use A. I. (Artificial Intelligence) that is distinct for every loft. These types of irons were the first to be powered by A. I. Technology where some manufacturers soon imitated. Callaway enhanced the face architecture of their irons to boost ball speed and forgiveness.
- The Flash Face Cup technology boosts ball launch and efficient flight.
- The iron set is in the Callaway family of Mavrik Irons.
- The unparalleled Urethane Microsphere design absorbs vibration.
- Although a slashed on prices was made this year, it is still one of the costliest.
- The whole set weighs 1kg.
6. TaylorMade SiM2 Max OS Iron Set Men
If you want more forgiveness and yardage, think about the SiM2 Max OS Iron Set by TaylorMade. We all know that TaylorMade is packing their golf clubs with advanced technologies; the SiM2 Max OS also has them!
The SiM2 Max OS (an oversized version of the previous SiM2 Max) improves distance and forgiveness for struggling players. The head has a progressive face height, wide sole, and powerful lofts for better range with an easy launch.
- The iron set will help high-handicappers to lower their scores.
- The ECHO Damping system provides a blend of soft polymer minimizing shakes.
- The iron set is ideal for beginners and those who play golf not too often.
- The iron appearance may not be too appealing for most golfers.
7. TaylorMade Golf P790 Iron Set
The Golf P790 Irons were introduced by TaylorMade in 2017, addressing two issues in the golf game: Distance and Accuracy. The forged hollow body construction of P790 distributes weight evenly on the face to maintain ball speed.
Mid-handicappers will benefit most from the high-tech features of the TaylorMade P790 Iron Set. The irons are engineered to give you the best tool, so you have better shots. It is developed to give the sought-after performance when you need it the most.
- It adopts the Progressive Inverted Cone Technology (ICT) to counteract miss-hits.
- The iron set is most favorable to mid-handicappers seeking lower scores.
- The irons look like blades but improve sound and feel.
- One of the priciest irons sets in the market.
- The iron set comes only in chrome.
8. TaylorMade SiM 2 Max Iron Set Men
If you want the longest-hitting game improvement irons, better think of the TaylorMade SiM 2 Max Iron Set for men. This iron set is full of TaylorMade innovative technology such as the Cap Back Design that maximizing distance, feel, and forgiveness. The cavity-back feature of SiM Max 2 makes it lighter but powerful.
Moreover, the irons also have the Speed Pocket & ECHO Damping technologies. The Thru-Slot Speed Pocket feature maximizes the face pliability increasing ball speed and forgiveness. The ECHO Damping system utilizes a blend of softer polymer across the face that promotes almost zero vibration. You can sense the forged iron-like feel but lighter.
- The Fast Forgiving Face design gives golfers better performance.
- It has a low C. G. (center of gravity) with stainless steel clubface material.
- The clubface has a lighter polymer that minimizes bulkiness.
- It has a slightly thicker leading edge.
9. Cleveland Golf Launcher Turbo HB Iron Set
In September 2019, Cleveland launched the Launcher Turbo HB Iron in the United Kingdom. The response from English and European golfers was outrageous! The iron set is available in right-hand and left-hand orientations in varying lofts. The right-hand orientation has 10.5 and 20 degrees of loft, while the left hand is available in 9, 10, and 12.5 degrees.
The Cleveland Launcher Turbo HB Iron Set comes in a 4-piece Progressive Hollow Shaping that costs much lower than TaylorMade and Callaway iron sets. It has a smooth transition from hybrid-like long-irons into iron-style shorts irons.
- The Launcher has Turbocharged Face for increased distance and ball speed.
- The center of gravity is low in each iron for high launch and peak height.
- The irons are ideal for golfers with slow to moderate swing speed.
- The irons do not come with headcovers.
10. Callaway Golf 2019 Apex Individual Iron
Are you looking for an individual iron to lower your handicap? Well, the Callaway Golf 2019 Apex Individual Iron is what you might be looking for! The Apex 19 comes from the Callaway Apex family of irons, but it is more forgiving that provides forged Tour-level design.
The increased range is due to advanced technology, like the 360 Face Cup, which creates fastball speed. The VFT Face enhances spin control for a more aggressive shot but with accuracy. Moreover, the Apex 19 Golf Iron has deeper C. G. for a more convincing ball flight.
- Apex 19 uses the 1025 mild carbon steel body producing an exceptional feel and sound.
- The urethane microsphere is forged into the body for consistent distance.
- The correct C. G. positioning allows for still shape shots.
- Iron is more advisable for high-handicappers.
11. Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Iron Set RH 5-PW Steel Reg
The Progressive Hollow Shaping of Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo RH 5-PW Iron Set makes it more attractive to game improvement golfers. The irons have Turbocharge Face consisting of high steel as material, but thinner than standard irons. Each iron has a different weight with redesigned HiBore Crown.
The iron set delivers maximum forgiveness and a higher trajectory. Most game improvement players will find the irons with more accurate and longer shots.
- The hollow construction has internal stabilizing ribs for more stable shots.
- The thinner face increases ball speeds and maximizes the range.
- The Progressive shaping allows for a smooth transition of irons in different shaft lengths.
- The whole set weighs 7lbs (3.15kg).
12. Callaway Big Bertha B21 Single Iron
Are you looking for a new level of confidence in your game? Well, you might need the Callaway Big Bertha B21 Iron that offers extra forgiveness! Do not be ashamed of having a big handicap. Big Berta is here! It is one of the irons that had been the best of all time for forgiveness.
Moreover, the Big Bertha B21 has some of its unique qualities introduced in the 90s. Today, the irons not only provide you with more forgiveness but also an easy launch from any lie. The iron is fitted with Urethane Microsphere Technology that adds more feel and sound.
- The B21 is suitable for mid-to high-handicap players wanting more forgiveness and distance.
- It is one of the most forgiving irons since 1994.
- The iron has super game-improvement qualities ideal for players with more than 20 handicaps.
- Some mid-handicappers may find the iron too forgiving.
13. TaylorMade SIM MAX Irons
Do you want irons that are so easy to hit with long distances? You guess it right! The TaylorMade SIM MAX Irons are well-known for these qualities. But the irons go a long way where you will not expect them to be!
The SIM Max Irons are basically for distance, but they are also designed with high respect for forgiveness. It has the innovative Speed Bridge Technology that delivers the needed range with breathtaking feel and sound. The irons have the Progressive Inverted Cone Technology (ICT) to determine the right sweet spot and side spin as you go along the shots.
- The irons help golfers in attaining distance and off-center hits.
- The ICT technique also delivers ball speed and straighter ball flight.
- The irons have a 1-degree loft.
- Shaft options: Graphite & Steel.
- The iron shaft lengths are for players with a height range of 5’8” to 6’2”.
14. Cleveland Golf Launcher UHX Iron Set
One of the Cleveland Launchers that delivers active turf interplay is the Launcher UHX Iron Set. The irons provide the ball with firm contact-generating a higher spin rate for the short irons. However, the clubs generate low spin distance for the long irons.
The versatility of this iron set makes it ideal for game improvement players wanting to reduce their scores. The irons have a V-shape sole that makes better interaction with the turf a more possibility. The unique sole shape also enhances speed retention at impact.
- The face has a high-strength HT1770M steel insert for ball speed and long-distance.
- The clubface has Tour Zip Grooves & Laser Milling technology for maximum spin.
- The iron set is one of the most accurate irons for mid-handicappers.
- The iron set may not suit low-handicappers.
15. Cobra Golf 2020 Men Speedzone Iron Set
The Cobra Speedzone Iron Set features a carbon-fiber topline, which is the first in the industry. The carbon fiber insert has half the weight (40% less) of steel. The insert makes the irons with a deeper center of gravity. It makes the iron increase the speed with high launch and explosive distance.
The advanced designs make the Speedzone one of the most promising golf irons that provide more forgiveness. The off-center shots might be a thing of the past for high-handicap players. Moreover, the irons have PWRShell Face technology for increase speed in and around the sweet zone.
- The lower center of gravity provides the ball speed and the lighter weight.
- The irons have an even distribution of weight at the heel and toe.
- The irons are ideal for mid-and high-handicappers.
- The iron set has only one length of shafts.
16. Cobra Golf 2020 Speedzone One Length Iron Set (Men, Right Hand, KBS Tour 80-90-Wedge, Reg Flex, 5-GW)
If you want a one-length set of irons, the Cobra Golf Speedzone Iron Set might fit your height and skill. The set is designed to be 7-iron with 37.50 inches of shaft length that promotes repeatable set-up and swing between clubs. The iron clubs provide more consistency and accuracy with every shot.
What you would like most about this iron set is the price. A Speedzone iron set is almost half of the cost of most TaylorMade iron sets. But the features and qualities are not inferior to the latter. The truth is the Speedzone can match some of TaylorMade advanced technologies.
- The Speedzone is the first to adopt the carbon fiber topline for maximum speed.
- The irons have the PWRShell technology for more power and forgiveness.
- The Speed Back Shaping gives the irons the stability the players need.
- The Speedzone is a certified game improvement iron.
- The club might have a slightly high dispersion distance.
17. Cobra Golf 2021 Men Radspeed Iron Set
The RadSpeed Men Iron Set by Cobra uses Artificial Intelligence (A. I.) like Callaway irons. The new technology is being adopted by Cobra, but the company takes a step further! The RadSpeed Iron Set uses 3D printing in designing these improvement irons. The results amazed many golfers.
The 3D design earmarks a more calculated positioning of weighting on the toe and heel. The feature gives you cavity-back irons that produce the ideal launch, maximum ball speed, and deeper C. G. (center of gravity). The Cobra Radspeed has Face-A Forged face insert for more forgiveness.
- The iron Radial Weighting Technology enhances forgiveness and flight path.
- The RadSpeed latest A. I. Technology is one of the rarest in game improvement irons.
- The iron set comprised of the most forgiving irons ever built.
- The package might be heavier (6lbs.) compared to other iron sets.
Best Game Improvement Irons Of All Time – Buying Guide
We narrow down the basis of choosing the right game improvement irons for your needs. Here goes!
1. The sound & feel of the iron.
The feel on the game improvement irons is crucial in improving your play. It is the same with the sound. Forged iron makes a better feeling club and provides good sound on firm shots.
2. Look for more forgiveness.
High-handicappers mostly benefit from game improvement irons primarily because of the club’s more forgiving nature. If you are frequently doing bad swings and miss-hits, you are making poor contact with the ball.
Look for irons that have a deeper center of gravity (CG) but with a higher moment of inertia (MOI) giving you maximum forgiveness. Irons that have these features are usually constructed with thicker top lines, cavity-backs, large clubface, and wider soles.
What To Look For When Choosing A Game Improvement Set Of Irons?
You can streamline the choices among the irons set available in the market today. Here are some of the useful yardsticks that you can rely on:
1. The shaft flex and material.
If you are hitting the ball below 150 yards using a 7-iron, maybe you need a regular flex iron. It is better to choose the right shaft flex according to your swing speed. Moreover, shaft material like graphite will give you a longer range but with minimal control.
If you want the steel shaft, it will give the control you ant but with little control. Compare these differences in shaft flexes and materials and match them with your swing speed.
2. The size & weight of the clubhead.
One of the best choices for this category is the progressive hollow shaping of the irons club head. The larger the head: the larger the sweet spot. However, the weight of the head should be just enough to deliver consistent ball speed and the needed spin.
Game improvement iron experts suggest an ideal weight of around 90 grams of iron head to suit your skill.
3. The set contents.
Most mid-handicappers do not have the right swing speed in hitting solid shots. You can choose an iron set with a combination hybrid and irons so you can adjust your shots. One of the best iron sets to consider is the 5-PW AW.
What Makes An Iron A Game Improvement Iron?
Game improvement irons were introduced in the 1960s. Since then, innovations have evolved, but the club’s objective remains the same: to assist players in hitting the ball with great distance. Moreover, these types of irons help golfers to swing higher and straighter compared to traditional irons.
Additionally, you can distinguish game improvement irons from blade irons because of the former’s perimeter weighting and cavity-back style heads. Also, these irons have greater MOI and deeper C.G. for maximum forgiveness.
Moreover, most of these irons have oversized heads longer than standard from heel to toe. If the club has an extra surface area to further boost the MOI, the iron becomes super (or max) game-improvement iron.
What Type Of player needs game improvement irons?
Game improvement irons are more advisable for mid-handicappers (maximum score of 7) and high-handicappers (scores of 8 and above). Also, beginners may use these irons in transitioning to the next level.
Moreover, players who need more forgiveness, ball speed, and higher launch with less spin, are the ones who need these irons.
1. What Is The Most Forgiving Iron Of All Time?
Best game improvement irons (last 5 years)
The TaylorMade P790 had been one of the best game improvement irons three years in a row (2018-2020). Moreover, the Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo and the Callaway Apex 2019 are also included on the list of best game improvement irons in the last five years.
However, the Cobra Golf 2021 Radspeed is gaining ground this year despite the onslaught of the pandemic.
Best game improvement irons (last 10 years)
The last decade showed the dominance of TaylorMade SIM Max as one of the best game improvement irons of all time. The Cobra King Series of oversized irons (such as the Speedzone and Radspeed) comes close to second place.
2. What Are The Best Golf Irons For A 20 Handicapper?
The Callaway Mavrik and the TaylorMade SiM Max irons are the top two choices for the best golf irons for players with 20 handicaps. It is the technology that matters most letting golfers with a high handicap improve their game.
3. How Do I Know If I Need Game Improvement Irons?
Most amateur players with a handicap between 13 and 25 can take advantage of the technology of the modern iron to lower their handicaps. If your score falls in this range, you should need game improvement irons.
However, players with handicaps higher than 25, need super game-improvement irons.
4. Can I use game improvement irons with any golf ball?
The answer to this question is a big YES! Most golf balls on the market today work just fine with high-quality game improvement irons.
5. Are graphite or steel shafts better in my game improvement iron?
For most beginners, graphite is the preferred irons. However, both materials will work well for high-handicap players. Additionally, if you are hitting the 7-iron with less than 140 yards of distance, better choose the graphite shaft.
6. What are the easiest irons to hit of all time?
According to most high-handicappers, the Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo is the easiest irons to hit. These irons carry out maximum forgiveness with a higher trajectory.
Read More: 8 Best Irons For Seniors.
The best game improvement iron of all time is the one that will surely change your game for the better. However, most beginners and amateurs will have a great time at the golf course once they have chosen the right set of irons for them!
We recognized the Cobra Men Radspeed Iron Set as the best game improvement irons of all time, without a doubt! We think the Radspeed will perform well in a wide range of mid-and high-handicap players because of its versatility.
Furthermore, we cannot let this opportunity pass without telling you that the TaylorMade SiM 2 Max is also a good choice.